Sunday, February 19, 2006

Winter!

Last night we went sledding with Todd & Erin at the park just over the hill behind the church across the street (whew!). It's a great sledding hill - one big woomp in the middle to go flying over, and then it bottoms out at the very frozen lake. Some people had built a little jump over to the right, but since there's an enormous beautiful tree just at the lake shore beyond the jump we stuck to the open streak on the left. Besides there was another group using the classic cardboard-box-sides-as-snowboards trying to go over the jump (they couldn't get enough momentum going to have the tree be any danger).

After the usual four hour Saturday rehearsal at Kanopy yesterday morning, and the very cold walk to get there after missing my bus, I thought I had really probably worn myself out enough for one day (it takes a lot of energy to descend into total insanity twice). But of course little local sledding hills aren't as well-endowed as Elver Park where I went sledding every winter when we first moved to Madison as a little kid. At Elver we had a tow rope. I remember this especially for one time when I was getting myself dragged up the tow rope and lost my feet and ended up with my chin sliding over said rope. Nasty rope burn! But of course we had no tow rope last night so it was headed toward another full decent into insanity until we abandoned for Jolly Bob's. Nothing like sledding and Caribbean cocktails to make a perfect winter day.

3 comments:

C said...

That sounds like a blast! We don't have any now now. We've only gone sledding twice this year - can you believe it?!? The snow doesn't seem to stick around for long. I was just talking to my mom an she said you got something like 10 or 11 inches?!? Wow! That storm came through here as rain. :oP

Sparrow said...

Apparently it came through here as snow with thunder and lightning! (I only heard about that second hand as I was deep in the middle of the UW hospital building at the time...) The thing is, my memory seems to be broken. Yesterday I left the house to go to the session and I was tired of putting on my boots so I slipped into a pair of slide/clog things. And then I remembered the good thing about boots while I was unburying my car. Oy!

C said...

Oh STINK! How nasTEEEE! Blurgh! I bet you were glad to get home THAT day! :oP