Monday, July 02, 2007

the ability to follow a thought from one end to the other

Sorry for the delay in posting - I was finally able to be up and out of the house and it's been brilliant. And exhausting! One of those odd situations for anyone reading though where you wouldn't know if the lack of communication was a total lack of ability due to a downturn, or if I just wasn't at the computer. I'm happy to report that for the most part I just wasn't at the computer.

Our good friends A & E were married on Saturday with great celebrations all weekend, just a few short blocks from our house in their newly acquired very long and treed back yard. It was a beautiful wedding and the food was great which is good news since it's the same folks A and I are planning to use for our own festivities.

This weekend I saw State St for a short while (and looked longingly up at the Kanopy windows). I went to Brennans (lovely fruit wine cheese fish market) where a sweet older woman asked me what happened and looked like she knew from experience how good it feels those first few days up and around again. And I completely wore myself out, but that's alright because it gave me the chance to feed my newly acquired addiction to the Canadian tv show 'Slings & Arrows.' I've now burned through all the shows from 2 seasons (12 episodes total). There's a third season which gets released on DVD tomorrow as far as I can tell from Netflix. Thanks, P, for the loan of the first two seasons!

Now that I'm clear of the drugs I can even read again. And keep track of the storyline between paragraphs. I knew my brain was fighting for it last week Monday when I tried the Washington Post crossword and it was hopeless. On a Monday! I'd hate to think the depression that might have set in if I'd tried a Friday puzzle. Today was much better for that so I think the neurons are firing again. Would I be scared if I went back and read my posts from last week? I'm just about finished reading The Dante Club, but I haven't seen it since before the surgery. If I can find that around the house today maybe I'll polish it off. I'm dreaming of the new Haruki Murakami novel After Dark. Right now I'm 34 on the library's list for it. If I could handle reading it in either Japanese or Korean I'd only be 4th or 5th on the list! In the meantime a copy of Anne Rice's The Witching Hour is sitting on our dining room table and I wandered a good way into the start of that over breakfast this morning.

As for a short medical update, it occurs to me that I haven't had a pain killer since getting up today, and I'm doing alright. After the misery of the narcotics I dropped down to a single extra strength Tylenol every 5 or 6 hours. The incision is longer than I'd expected, but it looks like it was very well put back together. I've been gently massaging it, and the nerve endings are still a little confused but not too bad.

It's been great to get to see those of you who have stopped by or who I ran into this weekend. I like solitude and miss it when I don't get any, but of course enforced solitude is something else altogether. So, thank you!

No comments: