Tuesday, January 10, 2006

too many cool things at once

I just got home from a Weary Mappers evening and heard about all kinds of fascinating new little things. The best for a start is the still very alpha MyGmaps where you can "create, save and host custom data files and display them with Google Maps" which in real language means that you can make custom maps with up to 10 locations each and host them there for other people to find. It's a small concept for now, but with excellent possibilities like GeoPhotoBlogging where you could provide coordinates for all your trip photos in Picasa and upload them to your gmap with comments and a travel route.

Another twist in the geo-information land is Dodgeball.com. I can't decide if this is cool or just slightly too creepy. It's now available in 22 cities including Madison (and New Orleans where it officially qualifies as cool these days - hang with me - you'll understand why shortly). The concept is that you register on the site and your friends register on the site and then if you're out at your favorite bar/club/park/whatever you can send a text message to the website which will then in turn send messages to your friends saying "Elizabeth is at the Brocach. Why not stop by and say hello?" and then it goes a step further and does the whole social network thing. I have friends, and they have friends, so if I send a text from the Brocach to dodgeball.com it notifies my friends and then notifies my friends' friends with a similar message but it has a tag at the end that says "You know Elizabeth through so-and-so." This is where I start thinking creepy. There's also a whole thing with being able to tag crushes, and get notified when a crush is within 10 blocks if you both happen to text the site, so all your evenings can be like high school hallways. (yack)

I've realized I need to sort out a good way to tag my posts... it could actually be handy ages from now to be able to pull all the geography posts or all the dance posts etc.

1 comment:

C said...

Whoa! The Brocach looks cool! That's right - the Badger Candy Kitchen burned up (or down) or something didn't it?

High School hallways galore, LOL! I love your take on the whole Dodgeball thing. :) So why is it cool in NOrleans? (she asked, feeling very, very blonde)

Tell me more about tagging your posts if you figure out a good system. You can link them to each other, but that's too linear for my taste.