Thursday, January 19, 2006

the end of the world?

Last night we watched The Day After Tomorrow which was totally enjoyable for what it was (a big disaster movie with some impressive effects). I'm convinced that a home projector setup is the only real way to watch movies like this. On a small screen the massive destruction looks too small, and in a theater you can't heckle loudly... well, you can, but I don't. In any case it's the heckling that makes these movies truly enjoyable. And it had Jake Gyllenhaal and Emmy Rossum (who has charmed me entirely ever since Songcatcher).

And then today on BBC news we get this related story. If you happen to be a grad student who feels sorry for your current plight in life now and again, check the 'Volunteers Army' section of the article. I promise you'll feel better!

Coffee break over...

1 comment:

C said...

I keep hearing about this film and need to watch it! (Day After Tomorrow.) If you like Emmy Rossum (dh's current wallpaper, LOL!) you'll LOVE Phantom of the Opera. Oh my! And on your prjection thinggy -oooh lala! Can we come watch at your house next time we're in town? I'll bring the DVD! :) The Phantom is played by Gerard ooh la la (Dear Frankie) Butler, (I know - he has a really long name!!) who is lovely even with prosthetic deformity, LOL!

This was my wallpaer until just recently:

http://benditlikebeckham7.tripod.com/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/wallpaper_ponr.jpg

Now it's the boys from Boondock Saints. :o)

Oddly enough, John is playing a song from POTO on the piano right now.

On a related note (maybe) I've been listening to Rant and Roar by Great Big Sea and #4 is "The End of the World as We Know It." :o)